NCTAF’s research and publications have positively impacted teaching quality in schools and districts across the country for almost 20 years. Our research has informed the growth of professional teaching standards, the birth of organizations that strengthen the teaching career from induction to mastery, and the national discussions about methods to encourage and develop teacher knowledge and skills.
NCTAF’s first groundbreaking report, What Matters Most: Teaching for America’s Future (1996), called for “competent, caring, qualified teaching in schools organized for success” and sparked a national dialogue about the importance of high quality teaching.
NCTAF then documented entrenched practices that hinder successful teaching, especially in urban and poor schools, with No Dream Denied: A Pledge to America’s Children (2003). This report called for schools, districts and policymakers to address the chronic conditions that make schools “hard to staff”.
In 2016, the Commission released What Matters Now: A New Compact for Teaching and Learning, which consists of two reports. The first issues a call to collective action, and the second provides a robust online base of research, examples, and case studies to support the call to action. NCTAF lays out a compelling argument to reorganize schools in ways that support teaching, drive learning, and provide every student with a strong foundation to build a bright future. The Commission believes that our nation is at a moment in time when policy and practice are shifting toward more engaging and relevant teaching and learning for all students.
Building on this strong foundation, NCTAF continues to produce in-depth and influential research reports, such as:
- The Shifting Paradigm of Teaching: Personalized Learning According to Teachers (2016)
- Moving from Compliance to Agency: What Teachers Need to Make Professional Learning Work (2016).
- How Deeper Learning Can Create a New Vision for Teaching (2016).
- STEM Teachers in Professional Learning Communities: From Good Teachers to Great Teaching (2011).
- Team Up for 21st Century Teaching & Learning: What Research and Practice Reveal about Professional Learning (condensed excerpts) (2010).
- Who Will Teach? Experience Matters (2010).
- How Boomers Can Contribute to Student Success: Emerging Encore Career Opportunities in K-12 Education (2010)
- The High Cost of Teacher Turnover (policy brief) (pilot study full report) (pilot study executive summary) (infographic) (Cost Calculator tool) (2007).
Building on our strong research foundation, NCTAF has released numerous articles and policy briefs. NCTAF is also committed to rigorous evaluation and collecting qualitative and quantitative data about our impact on teacher practice, school change, and student achievement.